Beyond Body Opus

Beyond Body Opus Blog – Dan Duchaine’s revolutionary 1997 book was a breakthrough piece for bodybuilders. In this blog I will share my experience with this diet and show how a non-bodybuilder used it to transform his body. Rather than give advice, this blog is all about observations and experience. The one thing many people missed in Dan’s book was his insistence people make decisions for themselves and use their experiences to guide those decisions. This blog is designed to help people make those decisions.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

6 January 2015 - Beyond Body Opus - Testing...testing...testing...



Testing…testing…testing…

Keto Stick, Pinpricks and why you’re testing for ketones

For the purposes of Body Opus, we use ketosticks to measure the level of unused ketones we’re excreting as an indicator of whether we’re in ketosis.  According to Dan’s book (page 278), ketosticks “…should turn purple when blood glucose has dropped below 50 and you are in ketosis.” 

Dan goes on (page 279) to say, “For our purposes, a glucometer is better than ketosticks.  However all hand-held glucometers can be off by up to 30 points.” 

So which is it? Ketosticks or the glucometer?  I chose ketosticks because I didn’t want to deal with the pinpricks (hey, I’m a guitar and bass player, my fingers are my life).  For me, in the long run, the ketosticks are more convenient. 

That said, we need to be clear about what we’re measuring when we use either one. 

With the ketosticks, you’re measuring the level of unused ketones your body is excreting.  You compare the used stick with the color code on the bottle’s label. The purplish bar that indicates moderate ketones is a pretty good indicator you’re in ketosis, but being in the “small” range could indicate as well. 

The glucometer, which uses a drop of blood (Dan suggests using the second drop of blood for a more accurate reading) indicates your glucose level.  According to Dan, “Ketosis can begin at 50 mg/dl.”  Above, you will note he warns that all glucometers can be off by up to 30 points. 

My preference for ketosticks comes from the fact they measure unused ketones.  I like that because the beauty of ketones is that when fat is disassembled into ketone bodies, the ketones can never be reabsorbed as fat.  Once those ketones run their course in your bloodstream, any ketones not used for energy are excreted.  That’s what you’re measuring with the ketosticks.

Here are some cautions to keep in mind with ketosticks.  First, ketosticks measure unused ketones.  I keep emphasizing this because a small ketone indication does not necessarily mean you are not in ketosis.  If your body is producing a large number of ketones, BUT you’re using all of those ketones (e.g. working out or post workout), you can still be in ketosis, but not excreting enough unused ketones to get an accurate indication from the ketostick.  The same thing can happen if you’re debiting calories.  You can be in ketosis, but it you’re burning all the ketones for energy, there are going to be few, if any unused ketones.

Ketostick readings situations like the ones above caused me to panic on many occasions.  Once I came to terms with the possible scenarios and looked at other indicators, I was able to place the readings in perspective.  If you’re honestly keeping your carbohydrate intake below 20gm/day, after 72 hours, you probably are in ketosis.  Just like Dan says in the book (page 278) you can speed up that 72 hours with glucose disposal agents such at vanadyl sulfate and chromium.

If you absolutely have to move your ketostick readings from light purple to dark purple, here are some strategies that worked for me:
·        Caffeine – about 100mg of caffeine (I use AeroLife Aeroshots.  No calories, no liquid)
·        Dietary fat – maybe a breakfast sausage or two (or three).  If you’re a shake person, try a serving of Udo’s Choice Oil 3.6.9 blend in a shake

Notice I did not recommend using caffeine and dietary fat together.  Don’t fall in to the “If one is good, then both together will be great” mentality.  Explore why you need to move your ketostick readings.  Dan admits in the book (pages 293-294) that he really doesn’t know if there is additional benefit by being deeper in ketosis, so think sustainability.  If you’re going to be doing Body Opus for a long time, maybe you don’t need to be that deep in ketosis.

When I first started Body Opus, I tested several times a day.  After the first year I calmed down a bit and dialed back the frequency.  Currently, I test 2-3 times a day, but for a different reason.  I test first thing in the morning, pre-workout and before I go to bed to give an impression of what my ketone levels look like throughout the day and over the week.  I know from experience that Monday and Tuesday show small ketone levels and Wednesdays show a move from small toward moderate ketone levels.  By Thursday I’m showing moderate ketones and that runs all the way through the depletion workout on Friday.

I hope my experience offers some insights for you.  If you have any questions, feel free to put them in the comments.

Thanks
Cal



No comments:

Post a Comment